Staining was always something I thought I knew how to do even though I’d never tried it. It seemed pretty simple, just paint it on wood and it was a whole new color. That’s what I thought when I did my first ever stain project when I first got married and wanted to update some ugly dining chairs my husband had. The chairs already had a glossy finish of an ugly oak color, which I slightly sanded down by hand (not nearly enough I know now) and tried to restain a dark walnut color. By restain, I mean add globs of stain with a brush and let it “soak in”. Yea, it turned out terrible. Not only did our whole apartment smell like furniture stain, it was sticky and messy and we eventually just threw it out. I didn’t know enough to wipe the stain off and rub it in or that I needed a much more raw surface and couldn’t just add stain to an already polyurethaned surface.