For quite a while I’ve struggled to come up with what I want to do with my life. As a young twenty-something, I’m overly aware of what I’m doing and what that will mean for my future. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an inventor and would draw sketches of the many inventions that I thought of. Daughter of an artist, I was always learning about art and making things. Most of my toys were homemade, and our kitchen was occasionally turned into an art studio for my mom to teach art classes. In high school, I thought I would be a social worker after falling in love with serving others and discovering that I had a lot of empathy for people in need. I continued that passion into college, but decided that I wanted to do more macro level social work or policy work to address needs on a greater level. I did an internship doing research for a non profit that developed neighborhoods in Detroit which made me interested in building community. After that, I took classes that focused on social change and city planning and food systems. Then, I fell in love with cooking and baking throughout the years. And for a while, I wanted to start a bakery that employed kids emancipated from the foster care system after volunteering for a couple of semesters at a boys foster care home.
I’ll admit I’m a dreamer. I have big ideas and don’t know exactly how to pursue them. Lately, though, I’ve come to the conclusion that all of this will come together, and I am enough right now exactly how I am and with what I am doing. I also have a lot of values that shape how I live and the things I want to do. The most significant influence on how I live is my love of Jesus and the freedom, peace and joy that knowing him brings. He has shown me beauty in the most common and most magnificent places and situations.
I’m hoping this blog will be a place that will start this process of bringing together my passions, exploring what I can do, and connecting with other people who think about the same things.
10 Things about Pearl Girl:
1. My name is Eva, but my middle name is Marie Pearl. My mom used to call me Pearl Girl when I was younger, hence the blog name!
2. I live in Michigan, and I’m really growing to really love it. It’s absolutely beautiful here.
3. I’m an only child which has made me really good at entertaining myself. I can be alone for hours and never feel bored!
4. I’ve been married for a year and half now, and it is the greatest thing ever. I got married young (22), and I don’t understand why people think that’s such a weird or bad thing. I get to spend everyday with my favorite person.
5. I cannot think of one food I don’t like. I like it all.
6. I’m terrible at keeping plants alive. I don’t have any idea what I do wrong, but they always die. I want to be a gardener so bad, but the plants just die. Even the ones I have at my office, they die.
7. I studied sociology in college and loved it. I think it taught me so much about the world and history and life. Yes, it isn’t very practical for finding a job, but I don’t think college should be just job training. I expanded my understanding of life and can critically think about how things work. That’s pretty valuable, I think.
8. I do regret that I didn’t study some sort of design while at undergrad, though. I always wanted to sign up for architecture or design classes but never did.
9. Florals will always be in style for me.
10. I’ve called myself an ice cream connoisseur before, and although I’m figuring out there is a lot to learn about ice cream before I’m a connoisseur, I do love it a lot and spend a lot of time eating it, thinking about it, and learning about making it. It’s my favorite dessert.