Last week I shared about our process for removing lath and plaster, and now I can finally say its completely demo’d out of our bathroom and bedroom that we are extending the bathroom into! There aren’t any pretty pictures to share right now, but to me, these photos are really pretty because its a blank slate and it is the first step to actually getting something in there!
We’ve actually made some changes to our design that I blogged about a few weeks ago and are deciding to move the bathroom over into where the front bedroom used to be. I plan to update the layout this weekend along with a few other design pieces that need finalized including a custom vanity.
As you can see in the pictures, we removed all the walls and ceiling. I tried to keep convincing Asa to keep some of it, but he was completely right to remove it all to start from scratch. The ceiling had some water damage, the electrical needed totally redone and therefore needed to be exposed, and the layout needed a lot of adjusting. I’m learning that a lot of times its best to pull stuff out and start from scratch to get the best end product. Actually we noticed a lot of the problems in this house so far are from people trying to cover stuff up and not redo it right.
Living through a bathroom renovation in a one bathroom house has been interesting, but we are making it work. Right now we literally just have a working toilet and shower free standing in this opened up room to use until we get a new one installed.
Even through all this, though, I’ve fallen in love with the renovating process. I can’t wait to get to the next room and the next. It’s been a dream of ours for a long time to redo a house together, and I’m glad its actually working out to be something we really love. I can see it being more a part of our future and hopefully we will get more and more opportunities to design and renovate old houses.